Construction of the ZRS-4 commenced on 31 October 1929, at Akron, Ohio, by the Goodyear-Zeppelin Corporation, and on 7 November 1931, Rear Admiral William A. Moffett, Chief of the Bureau of Aeronautics, drove the Ã¯Â¿Â½golden rivetÃ¯Â¿Â½ in the shipÃ¯Â¿Â½s main ring. Erection of the actual Ã¯Â¿Â½hullÃ¯Â¿Â½ sections began in March 1930. On 10 May 1930, Secretary of the Navy Charles Francis Adams chose the name Akron — to honor the city where the airship was being constructed — and Assistant Secretary of the Navy Ernest Lee Jahncke announced it four days later, on 14 May 1930.
On 8 August 1931, Akron was launched (floated free of the hangar floor) and christened by Mrs. Lou Henry Hoover, the wife of the President of the United States, Herbert Clark Hoover. Akron conducted her maiden flight on the afternoon of 23 September 1931, around the Cleveland, Ohio, area, with Secretary of the Navy Adams and Rear Admiral Moffett embarked. She made eight more flights — principally over Lake Erie but ranging as far as Detroit, Milwaukee, Fort Wayne, Indiana, and Columbus — before her delivery flight from Akron to the Naval Air Station (NAS) at Lakehurst, New Jersey, where she was commissioned on Navy Day, 27 October 1931, Lieutenant Commander Charles E. Rosendahl in command.